It is every individual’s legal and social responsibility to maintain safe and sustainable management of biomedical waste(BMW). BMW and eliminación de residuos sanitarios are mandatory to lead a healthy life with a clean environment. The waste produced during the immunization of humans, diagnosis, treatment or animal research activities is known as biomedical waste.
Types of biochemical waste:
Due to infectivity and other toxicity, medical wastes are a hazard to the environment. Biomedical waste consists of the following:
- Human anatomical waste is like organs, tissues and body parts.
- Animal wastes from veterinary hospitals
- Biotechnology and microbiology wastes
- Waste sharps like syringes, hypodermic needles, broken glass and scalpels.
- Cytotoxic drugs and discarded medicines
- Soiled waste such as bandages, dressings, casts, plasters, materials contaminated with blood, catheters and tubes.
- Liquid wastes from infected areas
- Incineration and chemical wastes.
Stages of medical waste disposal:
- Collection and segregation: biomedical wastes are classified into eight categories as mentioned above, and the best collection practice of medical waste is at the point of generation. It can reduce the risk of waste from the generation site to the collection container. Using the proper containers based on the type of waste is essential. The standard medical waste containers include sharps, biohazard, trace chemotherapy, RCRA hazardous, pharmaceutical and radioactive containers.
- Storage and transportation: upon segregation, it is usually determined by which waste is picked and disposed of through a vendor or which is reusable. You need to store medical waste somewhere until it is processed in bulk. These storage areas must be chosen very carefully and should be inaccessible to the general public. The transport from and to the storage site is also essential since there should not be any spill during transportation.
- Treatment and disposal: different ways can be treated and decontaminated medical wastes. Incineration is the standard way used on-site and off-site to treat and dispose of the rubbish. Decontamination is done with thermal processing, irradiative, biological or chemical treatments. Primarily for disposal, chemical treatments are used for liquid waste to be decontaminated so that it can be disposed of locally.
Overall, eliminacion de residuos sanitarios is essential to provide a safe environment to the next generation. If you dispose of biomedical waste without proper methods, it will create an unhealthy environment in which humans will also lead an unhealthy lifestyle. Follow waste disposal methods knowledgeably and adequately.