Diabetes is one of the most feared diseases all over the world because of the complications that it can cause to our body. We know that insulin resistance can cause prediabetes and type 2 diabetes which is a large contributing factor to this disease. If you are one of the individuals who have been searching for the right food to eat and what not to eat to reverse insulin resistance quickly, then this article is definitely for you.
Insulin Resistance Diet
Since Insulin Resistance can increase your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes, it is important that you prevent diabetes with a healthy lifestyle which will include regular exercise and a balanced diet. Let us start with diet. Here’s what to eat and why:
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables. These are low in calories and very high in fiber which is the best choice for people who are trying to manage their blood sugar levels. Choose the fresh options like tomatoes, spinach, greens, colorful peppers, and also the cruciferous. Munch on fresh fruits since these are high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals and avoid fruit juices since this can easily raise your blood sugar like a soda.
- Whole Grains. These are very rich in vitamins, fiber, and minerals which is the perfect option for insulin resistant individuals. Make sure that you purchase products that have the whole-grain ingredients in their labels like whole-wheat, whole-oats and oatmeal, whole-grain corn, and brown rice.
- These are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids that can reduce the risk for heart disease which is very common in individuals with diabetes. You can choose from salmon, herring, mackerel, sardines, and rainbow trout. If you want to fry the fish, make sure that you are using a healthier oil.
- If you are a poultry meat lover, you need to ensure that the amount that you consume for this meat is at a healthy level. You can cook with the skin just for the moistness and remove it before you eat it.
- Other Lean Protein. As long as you are using lean protein like pork, veal, lamb, or beef, then you are fine. Choose a pork tenderloin or the loin chops, veal loin chops, lamb chop, legs, lean beef, and so much more but trim the fat before cooking. You can also try the vegetarian protein sources like soy, legumes, and beans.
Exercise Is A Must!
Regular exercise would be able to help you lower your blood sugar levels. By trimming your body fat and reduce your weight, you can help your cells become more sensitive to insulin. Anything that can qualify as an exercise will do like gardening, walking, swimming, running, or dancing. As long as you keep moving and you burn your calories, then you can keep your blood glucose levels in steady.
Early Monitoring Do Matter
There are so many people who do not know that they have insulin resistance until they develop Type 2 Diabetes. If you are at risk of prediabetes or diabetes, it is important that you ask your doctor to give you a test to discover insulin resistance at an early stage. This can make a great change in your health for you to reduce your risk for diabetes and other serious health complications in the future.